One of the challenges for me eating low carb, is not having the convenience of using store bought tomato sauce. It’s quick to the table when throwing a meal together after a busy day but usually loaded with sugar. With a little planning and some easy to get ingredients, you can be enjoying a quick Italian inspired meal without the added carbs.
Yield: Serves 2
Prep: 10 Minutes
Cook time: 20 Minutes
- 4 5-ounce (150 gram) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 fire roasted pepper, chopped (buy the jarred ones for convenience or next time the grills on do some extra grilled peppers and freeze)
- 15- ounces 425 grams crushed tomatoes, OR tomato puree (Passata jarred version)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste, garlic and herb flavoured if possible
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes OPTIONAL
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley, chopped basil or both, to garnish
- Arrange oven shelf to the middle of the oven. Preheat broiler on medium heat.
- Season chicken with 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning, paprika, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a pan or skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken on both sides until browned and cooked through (about 6-8 minutes each side). Transfer to a plate; set aside.
- Cook the onion in the same pan until transparent (about 3-4 minutes) scraping any browned bits form the bottom of the pan, then add in the garlic and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute). Add the fire roasted pepper, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, crushed red pepper flakes (if including) and remaining Italian seasoning. Give it a good stir to mix well.
- Bring to a simmer and allow the sauce to thicken while stirring occasionally (about 4 minutes).
- Arrange the chicken in the sauce and top each breast with 2-3 tablespoons of mozzarella cheese per breast. Transfer to the oven to broil for 1-2 minutes, or until the cheese in browned and bubbling.
- Garnish with parsley or herb mix and serve.
For 1 Serving: Calories: 309 kcal, Carbohydrates: 9 g, Protein: 37 g, Fat: 9 g, Saturated Fat: 4 g, Cholesterol: 107 mg, Sodium: 629 mg, Potassium: 1025 mg, Fiber: 3 g, Sugar: 7 g