As summer is finally upon us, those with gardens and farmers markets will soon have lots of cheaper zucchini available. Here’s one way to take tasty advantage of it. They’re easy enough to shave with a good peeler but skip the middle seeded section as it gets soft quickly during cooking.
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes (14oz Can of diced has almost 3x carbs)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 5 basil leaves, chopped
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 2 zucchinis, cut into ribbons
- 2 tbsp shredded mozzarella cheese
For the filling:
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 7.5oz of ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 small egg
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place a large cast-iron or non-stick skillet over medium heat and add in the olive oil. Add in the garlic, red pepper flakes and onions and cook for 2-3 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add in the canned tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Stir and let cook for 10 minutes or until your sauce is reduced fully. Five minutes in, add the basil.
- While the sauce is cooking, mix together all of the ingredients for the “filling.” season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- To prepare the zucchini ribbons use the slicing side of a box grader, a peeler pressed hard into the zucchini or a mandolin. Doesn’t matter how you get there you want consistent thin slices of “noodles”.
- Then, place a large skillet over medium heat and coat with cooking spray. Once the skillet heats, add in your baby spinach and toss until wilted. Fold the spinach into the cheese mixture and set aside.
- When the sauce is done cooking, remove half of the sauce and set aside. Make sure that the sauce is spread evenly on the bottom of the skillet and then top with the zucchini noodles. Top with the remaining sauce.
- Next, make two pockets in the zucchini noodles on either side of the skillet and fill each with a dollop of the cheese “filling.” Sprinkle over the skillet with the 2 tbsp of mozzarella. Season the top of the skillet with pepper.
- Cover the skillet with tin foil and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the noodles soften and the cheese is completely melted.
Serve for two!
Amount per serving (1/2) – Calories: 462, Fat: 25g, Saturated Fat: 13g, Monosaturated: 7g, Polyunsaturated: 1g, Trans fat: 0g, Cholesteral: 176g, Sodium: 709g, Carbohydrates: 12g, Fiber: 6g, Sugars: 10g, Protein: 36g
Interested in becoming a T2DXX Contributor? Contact Us.